These One Bowl Chunky Monkey Blondies, filled with bananas, chocolate chips, and walnuts, are a delicious way to use those over ripe bananas you have sitting around!
Super simple. Low effort. High payoff. Sometimes that’s what gets us through the day, and that’s okay. This recipe was born from that kind of day. I wanted something sweet, I had really ripe bananas, some leftover chocolate chips and walnuts. There you go. But listen, if you’re feeling super crunched for time and/or suffer from a sudden (or chronic) lack of culinary motivation beyond the basics, when you get to the part about browning the butter, don’t do it. It’s FINE. No one will die for lack of browned butter. Go on, bribe someone to make them if you want. Scoot.
- 1/2 Cup granulated (white) sugar
- 1/2 Cup dark or light brown sugar (whichever you have 🤷🏻♀️. Don’t go shopping )
- 1 Stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 Mashed ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3/4 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 Cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8”X8” pan with non stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Allow the edges of the paper to hang over the sides of the pan. These will be your “handles” to lift your blondie out of the pan easy peasy. We’re going to start by browning the butter (if you have the energy to do so). This will give the blondies a rich nutty taste that will go great with all the other flavors. Slice the butter into pieces and melt in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. After it melts, swirl the pan gently so you can see under the foam. The milk solids at the bottom of the pan will begin to brown, looking like little flecks. As soon as you start to see them keep close watch. This can go from brown 😊 to black 😞 quickly. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Note: just plain melted butter works too. No judgement zone here. (😞 excuse my measuring cup with no measuring lines. They all cam off in the dishwasher, but it I wanted you to see the brown flecks in the butter)
- Add the brown butter to the sugars in a medium bowl and stir together.
- I kinda fibbed a bit, you need a measuring cup to mash the bananas and whisk them together with the eggs and vanilla. Well, technically, it’s a cup, so it’s still one bowl-ish. Add the banana-egg-vanilla mixture to the sugar and butter and combine well.
- Add in your flour, salt and baking powder all at once. Isn’t that easy? Mix until you just lose sight of any flour streaks and no more. Don’t over mix, please or you’ll have tough blondies. That just won’t do. Pour in your chocolate chips and toasted walnuts now. Gently fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into the 8”X8” pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and lined with parchment paper (give that a spray too). I know I said it at the beginning of the recipe, but do you know how many times I’ve skipped that part? Enough times that I’m telling you again 😊
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean-ish. A few crumbs is okay since there will be some carry over cooking and underdone is WAY better than overdone in Blondie World. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before using the edges of parchment as a handle and lifting your blondie out of the pan. Allow to cool for another 30 minutes, if you can, before slicing and eating. Share. It’s nice. Be nice. Or not 💁🏻♀️