Mixed Fruit Buttermilk Bundt Cake

If there is one thing that inspires me to make dessert, it's desperation.  I'll be at home, craving something sweet, but not wanting to go the the grocery store because I hate traffic and parking 😖  So I'll end up looking in the pantry and fridge to see what I have on hand and decide what I can make.  I usually have a small amount of a bunch of different berries leftover in their little plastic containers (my husband likes fruit in his yogurt in the morning), and one or two pieces of fruit that are going a little soft.  That, and the fact that I always have buttermilk on hand (in case of a biscuit situation), is literally what inspired this recipe.  So grab your bits and let's get baking!

Buttermilk Cake
 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
 1 ½ tsp baking powder
 ¼ tsp baking soda
 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt (table salt is actually more salty than kosher salt, but if that's all you have, just use ½ of a teaspoon. No need to buy special salt if you don't use it often enough. Even if you should 😉)
 2 sticks room temperature unsalted butter
 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
 Zest of one lemon (you'll use the lemon juice in the glaze)
 ½ tsp vanilla extract
 ½ tsp lemon extract
 3 large eggs at room temperature
 ¾ cup buttermilk at room temperature
 3 cups mixed fruit (I used blueberries, blackberries, and peaches, but you can use any semi-soft fruits you have on hand. Berries and soft peaches just work especially well!)
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
 1 cup powdered sugar
 4 tbsp cream cheese at room temperature
 Juice of one lemon (told you you'd use it! No waste!)
 1 -2 tbs milk (if needed, to make the glaze more... glazey in consistency)

1

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the inside of your bundt pan with non-stick spray and lightly flour the interior, tapping off the excess flour.

In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sprinkle 2 tbs over your chosen fruit and toss gently to cover. This will keep the fruit from completely sinking to the bottom of your cake. Set the fruit aside.

2

Cream together the butter, sugar, and zest until light and fluffy. I find it easier to cream everything quickly if I cut the butter into pieces before adding the sugar and zest. It shouldn't take any longer than 2-3 minutes to cream after that.

Add the extracts and mix in. Add the eggs, one at a time. Allow the eggs to incorporate completely before adding the next one.

3

At this point i like to take the bowl off the stand mixer and add the last ingredients by hand. Why? Because the more you mix flour into a cake mix, the more "tough" it becomes as you build nice strong 💪gluten strands. Hand mixing discourages that.

Mix the flour and the buttermilk into the creamed butter and sugar in turns. Start with ⅓ of the flour, ½ of the buttermilk, then flour, buttermilk, and flour. With each addition, only mix until it is just incorporated.

4

Gently fold in the mixed fruit with a silicone spatula until it is just mixed in and very little of the flour is visible.

Using a spoon, or an ice cream scoop like I do, evenly distribute the cake batter into your prepared bundt pan. Place a folded towel on the counter and give the pan a few good hits on the counter to make sure the thick batter pushes into all the pan crevices. Bam! Bam! Get some frustrations out. Bam!

Bake at 350° for 60-75 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Mine usually takes the complete 75 minutes, but sometimes less, so start checking at 60 minutes and recheck every 5 minutes until you get a clean stick. Cake happens fast. You gotta watch keep checking!

Allow to cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from the pan in whatever way you are comfortable 😉(I say that because is anyone EVER removing a bundt cake from its pan?) Let me tell you how I remove a bundt cake from the pan that has worked 99% of the time (and the other 1% just gets a creative glazing). I gently tap the side of my pan on the counter on all sides of the pan, around and around. This helps each section to loosen from the pan. Then I place the wire rack on top of the pan and flip. Perfect (almost)) every time!

5

While your cake is cooling, you can prepare the glaze. You want to add it to a completely cooled cake or it will all run down to the bottom, and that's not good bundting. Just saying.

In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, cream cheese, and lemon juice with a hand mixer until completely mixed. The glaze needs to be thin enough to pour over your bundt, but thick enough to stay there, so add one tablespoon of milk at a time until you get a consistency you like. I like it to be a little thicker than pancake syrup, if that makes sense. I also like to pour the glaze into a measuring cup with a spout to make it easier to get an even pour.

That's it! A mixed buttermilk bundt cake that you'd feel good serving for breakfast OR dessert. Not that I ever had a problem eating cake for breakfast 😆

Ingredients

Buttermilk Cake
 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
 1 ½ tsp baking powder
 ¼ tsp baking soda
 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt (table salt is actually more salty than kosher salt, but if that's all you have, just use ½ of a teaspoon. No need to buy special salt if you don't use it often enough. Even if you should 😉)
 2 sticks room temperature unsalted butter
 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
 Zest of one lemon (you'll use the lemon juice in the glaze)
 ½ tsp vanilla extract
 ½ tsp lemon extract
 3 large eggs at room temperature
 ¾ cup buttermilk at room temperature
 3 cups mixed fruit (I used blueberries, blackberries, and peaches, but you can use any semi-soft fruits you have on hand. Berries and soft peaches just work especially well!)
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
 1 cup powdered sugar
 4 tbsp cream cheese at room temperature
 Juice of one lemon (told you you'd use it! No waste!)
 1 -2 tbs milk (if needed, to make the glaze more... glazey in consistency)

Directions

1

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the inside of your bundt pan with non-stick spray and lightly flour the interior, tapping off the excess flour.

In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sprinkle 2 tbs over your chosen fruit and toss gently to cover. This will keep the fruit from completely sinking to the bottom of your cake. Set the fruit aside.

2

Cream together the butter, sugar, and zest until light and fluffy. I find it easier to cream everything quickly if I cut the butter into pieces before adding the sugar and zest. It shouldn't take any longer than 2-3 minutes to cream after that.

Add the extracts and mix in. Add the eggs, one at a time. Allow the eggs to incorporate completely before adding the next one.

3

At this point i like to take the bowl off the stand mixer and add the last ingredients by hand. Why? Because the more you mix flour into a cake mix, the more "tough" it becomes as you build nice strong 💪gluten strands. Hand mixing discourages that.

Mix the flour and the buttermilk into the creamed butter and sugar in turns. Start with ⅓ of the flour, ½ of the buttermilk, then flour, buttermilk, and flour. With each addition, only mix until it is just incorporated.

4

Gently fold in the mixed fruit with a silicone spatula until it is just mixed in and very little of the flour is visible.

Using a spoon, or an ice cream scoop like I do, evenly distribute the cake batter into your prepared bundt pan. Place a folded towel on the counter and give the pan a few good hits on the counter to make sure the thick batter pushes into all the pan crevices. Bam! Bam! Get some frustrations out. Bam!

Bake at 350° for 60-75 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Mine usually takes the complete 75 minutes, but sometimes less, so start checking at 60 minutes and recheck every 5 minutes until you get a clean stick. Cake happens fast. You gotta watch keep checking!

Allow to cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from the pan in whatever way you are comfortable 😉(I say that because is anyone EVER removing a bundt cake from its pan?) Let me tell you how I remove a bundt cake from the pan that has worked 99% of the time (and the other 1% just gets a creative glazing). I gently tap the side of my pan on the counter on all sides of the pan, around and around. This helps each section to loosen from the pan. Then I place the wire rack on top of the pan and flip. Perfect (almost)) every time!

5

While your cake is cooling, you can prepare the glaze. You want to add it to a completely cooled cake or it will all run down to the bottom, and that's not good bundting. Just saying.

In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, cream cheese, and lemon juice with a hand mixer until completely mixed. The glaze needs to be thin enough to pour over your bundt, but thick enough to stay there, so add one tablespoon of milk at a time until you get a consistency you like. I like it to be a little thicker than pancake syrup, if that makes sense. I also like to pour the glaze into a measuring cup with a spout to make it easier to get an even pour.

That's it! A mixed buttermilk bundt cake that you'd feel good serving for breakfast OR dessert. Not that I ever had a problem eating cake for breakfast 😆

Mixed Fruit Buttermilk Bundt Cake

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *