Slow Cooker Pulled chicken tacos with corn and black bean salsa can all be prepped the night before, placed in the cooker during the day, and pulled together for a fast and easy dinner!
The Boy and I met and fell in love in San Diego, where you can arguably find the best Mexican Food in the country. So, it’s no wonder that Mexican Food, and tacos in particular, carry some of our best food memories.
Since I work early mornings at the pastry shop, and The Boy works evenings at the hospital, our family meal time takes place at lunch, or as The Boy likes to call it “linner” (I keep telling him that’s not going to be a thing.) These tacos work fantastically into that schedule. I season everything the night before, put it all into the slow cooker and refrigerate. Before I leave the house, well before the crack of dawn is even awake, I turn the slow cooker on low and “linner” is started.
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (optional, if you like it spicy!)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 bone in chicken breasts, skin removed (the bone really lends extra flavor to the finished chicken)
- 1/2 - 1 whole jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 1 handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 small onion, cut in wedges and pulled apart
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed well
- 3 ears of corn, kernels stripped
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 - 1 whole jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime
- 3 tbs light olive oil or canola oil
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas (I like the street taco size because 1. I like tiny food and 2. It helps me control my carbs. Hello Diabetes. I'm looking at you.)
- Cubed avocado, tossed with a little lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil
- Extra cilantro sprigs
- Wedges of lime
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl and sprinkle them generously all over the chicken. Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place the jalapeños, tomatoes, and onions on top of the chicken and pour the chicken broth over top. Close the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the slow cooker and let it cool a little bit. Or do what I do and put on a pair of gloves and just start pulling the chicken apart with your fingers or two forks. Place the chicken back into the cooking liquid and keep the slow cooker on low while you get all your other ingredients together.
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- This couldn't be simpler or more flavorful! Just put all your chopped ingredients and your rinsed and drained beans in a large bowl, add the lime zest and lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. I always finish my salsa and avocado with a little bit of olive oil. It gives it a smooth finish and a balances the acidity of the lime. If using olive oil, note that it tends to solidify when refrigerated. If you're not going to be eating all this salsa now (as improbable as that may seem) remember to take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes ahead of serving, to allow the oil to come to room temperature. Otherwise you can use a light oil, such as canola oil instead, which won't solidify under refrigeration.
Putting it All Together!
- Warm your tortillas, choosing the method of your choice. You can wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for about 30 seconds or heat them in a skillet with a tiny bit of oil. Now it's time to put together your tacos! I like to make a taco bar out of the whole thing with the chicken on a platter and all the accompaniments in small bowls. This way everyone can make the tacos the way they want and is there really any wrong way? Enjoy your tacos! It can be Taco Tuesday any day of the week!