- 2 cups all purpose flour 260 g
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100 g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk 240 g, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 57 g, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil 60 g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
Preheat oven to 425° Place cupcake liners in each cup of a standard size cupcake pan.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Don't over mix. Just briong together until all the dry flour disappears. A few lumps are okay.
Gently fold in any add-ins that you have decided to include. See the post contents for variations I have tested for you, but don't be afraid to stretch your culinary wings!
Using a scoop or measuring cup, place ¼ cup of batter into each muffin cup (or, if you'd rather eyeball it, fill each cup ¾ full.) Sprinkle top with more granulated sugar or streusel, if desired. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn the oven down to 350°, without opening the oven door. Bake for another 15-18 minutes, or until a clean toothpick inserted into the center muffin comes out with few or no crumbs attached.
Nutrition information provided is only an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. Does not include the addition of any other ingredients.
- Additional note on Buttermilk When it comes to the liquid I use in muffins, I sometimes make adjustments based on what I have in the fridge at the moment. You can absolutely use Greek yogurt or sour cream in place of the buttermilk, if that’s what you have on hand. If you substitute with milk - whole milk, skim milk, or almond milk for instance - remove the baking soda from the recipe and increase the baking powder to 3 teaspoons.
- Don't need a dozen muffins? This recipe is easily divided in half for 6 muffins. Sometimes I even make 6 of one muffin flavor and 6 of another. Have fun!
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 246mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 191IU | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1mg